WHAT LOVE IS
"enticing ... alluring ... a bonanza of Brazilian-inflected music." Zan Stewart
Carol Bach-y-Rita’s warm rich tones and sparkling musicality are in full evidence on her highly acclaimed album “What Love Is.” Sung in both English and Portuguese, the release showcases her exquisite mastery in the worlds of jazz and Brazilian music. The recording features compositions by Moacir Santos, Johnny Mandel, Gilberto Gil, Jobim, Stan Getz, Billie Holiday, King Pleasure, John La Touche. Splendidly accompanied by Jamieson Trotter on piano, Trey Henry on acoustic bass, Mike Shapiro on drums and Robert Kyle on Reeds, "What Love Is" marks Carol's long awaited return to the music scene! "Lustrous, gorgeous ... sexy ... Wow this one is good!" (LA Jazz Scene)
1. You Don't Know What Love Is - Gene De Paul, Don Raye (4:44)
2. Eu Vim Da Bahia - Gilbert Gil-Preta (4:32)
3. A Time For Love - John Mandel, Paul Francis (5:57)
4. April Child (Maracatú Naçãuo Do amor) - Moacir Santos, Ne Lopes (3:39)
5. Corcovado - Antonio Carlos Jobim (4:37)
6. Don't Get Scared - King Pleasure (lyrics), Stan Getz (3:19)
7. Assim Não Dá - Kleber Jorge (5:09)
8. Don't Explain - Arthur Herzog Jr., Billie Holiday (5:49)
9. Amor Até O Fim -Gilbert Gil-Preta (4:48)
10. Cidade Lagoa - Sebastião Fonseca, Cicero Nunes (2:31)
11. Lazy Afternoon - John La Touche, Jerome Moross (7:01)
Carol Bach-y-Rita vocals
Trey Henry bass
Robert Kyle tenor saxophone and flute
Mike Shapiro drums & percussion
Jamieson Trotter piano
Produced and arranged by Robert Kyle
“Amor Ate O Fim” arranged by Mike Shapiro & R. Kyle, "Don’t Get Scared" by C Bach-y-Rita and R. Kyle, "Don’t Explain" by C Bach-y-Rita and Trey Henry.
Recorded by Nolan Shaheed at No-Sound Studios
Mixing and Additional Recording by Carlos Y del Rosario at Visual Rhythm
Mastered by Robert Hadley at The Mastering Lab
Design by Marcus Pungent & Mitti Murakami
Photos of Carol by Martin Cohen
Group/Band photos by Robin Gatner Photography
REVIEWS OF "WHAT LOVE IS"
... enticing ... alluring ... a bonanza of Brazilian-inflected music.
- Zan Stewart (Click to read full article)
…as cool and soothing as a pitcher of caipirinhas on a sweltering summer afternoon.
- Ken Franckling (Click to read full article)
What Love Is is one of the best vocal releases of recent times.
-Scott Yanow (Click to read full article)
... lustrous, gorgeous ... sexy ... Wow this one is good!
-Myrna Daniel LA Jazz Scene (Click to read full article)